SCENE – the Scottish Centre for Ecology and the Natural Environment – also known as ‘the field station’ near Rowardennan on the east side of Loch Lomond is looking for a domestic officer.
Closing date for applications is 17 July 2016.
SCENE job vacancy: Domestic Officer
Reference Number;: M00674
Location: Rowardennan Field Station
Position Type: Full Time
Salary Range: £16,017 – £18,212
To provide an effective and efficient domestic and catering support service to staff, students and visitors to the Scottish Centre for Ecology and the Natural Environment (SCENE) at Rowardennan.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1 To be responsible for general cleaning and domestic duties in the residential, teaching, research and staff areas of SCENE field station.
2 To prepare residential rooms for guest use including bed-making and bathroom-cleaning.
3 To assist with specialist cleaning tasks (eg spillages, etc) and ensuring that University procedures are adhered to.
4 To monitor stock levels of domestic goods.
5 To undertake food production duties under the supervision of the Domestic Bursar.
6 To keep routine documentation on freezer storage temperatures, food cooking temperatures, food stock turnover dates.
7 To resolve work problems independently where appropriate.
8 To communicate effectively with line manager on operational issues or complaints.
9 To deputise for catering/cleaning responsibilities in the absence of the Domestic Bursar.
• Standard Grades or equivalent vocational qualification
• Good knowledge of University policies & procedures and Health and Safety Policy.
• Knowledge of cleaning and food hygiene regulations.
• Ability to communicate with staff, students and visitors in a courteous and diplomatic manner
• Excellent time-keeping
• Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships
• Ability to work as part of a team
• Pleasant helpful manner
• A willingness to develop and a flexible approach to the role
• Self-motivated and able to manage time effectively
• Ability to manage workload and prioritise duties effectively
• Willingness to participate in training to acquire additional skills
• Ability to drive
• A good understanding of safe working practices
• One year’s relevant work experience in cleaning/catering along with Standard Grades or equivalent vocational qualifications, OR 2 years relevant work experience without qualifications
Responsible for general cleaning of a 43 bed-space residential facility, kitchen, dining/conference room, teaching lab and public toilets. An 11 bed-space research residential facility including 3 kitchens, 1 self-contained flat providing 11,000 bed-nights pa.
Assisting in the provision of catering for c 8,000 student days pa.
Responsible for the basic cleaning of the research areas and offices within the Teaching and Research buildings.
Planning and Organising
To plan workload so that cleaning and catering duties are completed on a daily basis as appropriate.
To prioritise workload duties as appropriate.
To make decisions on routine matters in the absence of line manager.
To communicate daily with line manager and to liaise and communicate with staff, students and visitors.
To act as a first point of contact for cleaning enquiries.
This post is based at the SCENE Field Station at Rowardennan. There will be requirements to work at weekends and outwith 9am-5pm.
Standard Terms & Conditions
Salary will be on the Operational Grade, level 3, £16,017 – £18,212 per annum.
This post is fixed term for 12 months.
This position works on a variable rota that will be confirmed with the employee one month in advance. The majority of hours will fall with the standard Mon-Fri 9-5pm schedule, however, there might be a requirement for some hours out with this schedule.
New entrants to the University will be required to serve a probationary period of 6 months.
The successful candidate will be eligible to join the National Employment Savings Trust (NEST) Pension Scheme.
Closing date : 17 July 2016